The 37th Hour

The 37th Hour

Book - 2004
Average Rating:
Rate this:
In a suspense novel of astounding power and depth, Jodi Compton unleashes a haunting tale of secrets and betrayal...and of one woman's search for her missing husband that spirals into a dark journey strewn with bitter truths and damged lives. Here debut novelist Compton introduces an extraordinary character: Detective Sarah Pribek, a woman of strength, complexity, and instinct, a woman caught in an unimaginable nightmare... The 37th Hour On a chilly Minnesota morning, Sarah comes home to the house she shares with her husband and fellow cop, Michael Shiloh. Shiloh was supposed to be in Virginia, starting his training with the FBI. A seasoned missing-persons investigator, Sarah is used to anxious calls from wives and parents. She's used to the innocent explanations that resolve so many of her cases. But from the moment she learns that he never arrived at Quantico, she feels a terrible foreboding. Now, beneath the bed in which they make love, Sarah finds Shiloh's neatly packed bag. And in that instant the cop in her knows: Her husband has disappeared. Suddenly Sarah finds herself at the beginning of the kind of investigation she has made so often. The kind that she and her ex-partner, Genevieve, solved routinely -- until a brutal crime stole Genevieve's daughter and ended her career. The kind that pries open family secrets and hidden lives. For Sarah this investigation will mean going back to the beginning, to Shiloh's religion-steeped childhood in Utah, the rift that separated him from his family -- and the one horrifying case that struck them both too close to home. As Sarah turns over more and more unknown ground in her husband's past, she sees her lover and friend change into a stranger before her eyes. And as she moves further down a trail of shocking surprises and bitter revelations, Sarah is about to discover that her worst fear -- that Shiloh is dead -- may be less painful than what she will learn next... In a novel of runaway tension, Jodi Compton masterfully weaves together the quiet details of everyday life with the moments that can shatter them forever. At once a beguiling mystery and a powerful rumination on family, friendship, and loss, The 37th Hour is a thriller that will catch you off guard at every turn -- instantly compelling and utterly impossible to put down. From the Hardcover edition.
Publisher: New York : Delacorte Press, 2004
ISBN: 9780385337137
Branch Call Number: FICTION Com
Description: vi, 324 pages ; 22 cm
Alternative Title: Thirty-seventh hour


From the critics

Community Activity


Add a Comment
Dec 26, 2016

Interesting pieces of the puzzle - for another story i.e. not the story of a missing spouse. Billed as a mystery, it was a mystery book for about 10% of the book. The other 90% was backstory, having little to nothing to do with the husband's disappearance. I should have stopped after 100 pages. I had hoped "this is going to turn into a mystery book." Wrong again!

Jul 17, 2016

This is an interesting and compelling book but I found it ultimately unsatisfying. That's a pity because it really had be enthralled right up to the final couple of chaptgers.

Sep 25, 2010

Somewhat convoluted - I went from enjoying the read to when is this bizarre tale going to end.


Add Age Suitability

There are no ages for this title yet.


Add a Summary

There are no summaries for this title yet.


Add Notices

There are no notices for this title yet.


Add a Quote

There are no quotes for this title yet.

Explore Further

Browse by Call Number


Subject Headings

LibraryThing Series Information


Find it at CRRL

To Top